Harold and Frank Barnwell, made Scotland’s first powered flight.
The brothers reached an altitude of 13ft when they travelled 80m over a field in the shadow of the Wallace Monument in 1909.
The Barnwell brothers’ first experiments included gliders fitted with motorbike engines which they built in their garage in Causewayhead.
They ran the Grampian Motor and Engineering Company to fund their pioneering aviation work.
In July 1909 their biplane, powered by a car engine and piloted by Harold Barnwell, made the country’s first powered flight.
In January 1911 a monoplane designed by the pair became the first Scottish plane to fly for more than a mile.
A recent housing development on Causewayhead Road was
named Barnwell Mews in honour of the brothers.